The government recently launched the Huduma namba National Integrated Identity Management System (NIIMS) pilot program led by the interior PS Karanja Kibicho. The PS stated that the huduma number is a mandatory requirement for all Kenyans and any other foreigner residing in Kenya.
Huduma Number (namba) is acquired through NIIMS registration and is meant to act as an identity of all persons residing in Kenyan. National Integrated Identity Management System (NIIMS) is a portal used for huduma number registration of Kenyan residents including the refugees and foreigners. NIIMS registration process will be done offline but the data is stored online and shared among the various government agencies. The process is targeted to take place from 15th March 2019 upon addressing the teething problems.
There will be 15 pilot counties that will have their data captured in the biometrics. The counties selected are Nairobi, Makueni, Uasin Gishu, Embu, Busia, Kajiado, Baringo, Marsabit, Kilifi, Kisii, Tana River, Embu, Kisumu, and Wajir.
Currently, the registration for Huduma Namba is not done online. You are required to present yourself physically to your sub chief office or sub county office. You can also locate any 2017 Voting Centre which are being used as registration centers near you. You can also go to the nearest Huduma Center for registration especially those in Nairobi County.
What information should you provide NIIMS?
The following information will be collected from you during registration;
- Bio data information
- Nationality (Citizen, Foreigner, Dual Citizen)
- Parent/ guardian details
- Place of birth
- Marital status
- Education details
- Employment status
- Agricultural activities
- Biometric details
- Your Photo
Benefits of Huduma Number
- Huduma number will be used by the government to channel the national resources
- It will bring to an end the struggle of Kenyan Citizens carrying essential documents like Nation Identification card, Driving License and others everywhere.
- The data will help the government in planning and providing services like healthcare and welfare to the elderly.
- The process will also combat fraud in the nation since this will enable monitoring entry of terrorist in the country.
How NIIMS is capturing and storing your information
Below is the process on how your information is collected and stored;
- You are to fill in a hard copy containing your biometrics, bio data and photos
- The information will be transferred to a registration kit that will store captured data locally
- The information is uploaded to the server later.
- UPI is generated on feeding the data to the Huduma Namba Server. The data is the shared to the different government agencies.